Subject: [Leica] Minox 35 vs XA
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 1 15:57:22 2005

In a message dated 4/1/05 2:07:56 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> Yes, the shutter release will frequently jam up.? The Olympus repair
> guys used a little lighter fluid to free it up.? Also, it is a leaf
> shutter that may need to be CLA'd after this many years.? Also, there is
> the XA and XA-2 to consider.

Yes, the lens of the Oly XA is about as good as that on the Minox 35. That
said, the Minox 35 has a classic hot shoe, which the XA doesn't. If the XA
had
that hot shoe it would be nonpareil. Maybe Oly would still be making it. The
great thing about the XA is its innovative f-stop selector. You can count
the
clicks to know where your exposure is at. The viewfinder is large and
bright,
altho the rangefinder spot is vague; but who needs it with the DOF that
camera's
lens permits.

However, the Minox is about as small as a 35mm can get. If you use a Minox
35
often, its shutter blades won't lock because of congealed oil. Otherwise, it
can cost you $90 to unglue those blades. With the double batteries that
replace the single original, the meter is much livelier and the ISO more
accurate.

I use both the Minox 35 and the XA as backups for larger systems film and
digitals. Very good insurance. Both have remarkably fast lenses, f2.8. The
XA is
especially good for doing existing light work. Particularly when you don't
want to call attention to yourself. On the digital side for light traveling
I use
an Oly 5050; its zoom uses f1.8 at WA. And the 5050 also has a hot shoe. A
very handy digital, indeed.

Both my Minox 35 and XA are more than 10 years old. Methinks the 5050 won't
match their longevity. Digital prosumers are still too complex and delicate.

Bob

Replies: Reply from lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda) ([Leica] Minox 35 vs XA)