Subject: [Leica] Seeking a new 50
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Mar 25 13:58:06 2005

Scott,
The dual range focuses down just inside 1 meter without the eyes.  Yes,
the second generation "rigid" Summicron is supposed to be the same
formula, or maybe not as we had that discussion four or five years ago.
The rigid version seems a little harder to come by which is why I didn't
mention it.

The second 50 Summilux has made a lot of photographers happy for many
years.  I wouldn't say penultimate, but a very solid performance.  The
fall off does disappear as you stop down to 5.6-8.

Purchasing a used Leica or whatever lens is pretty straightforward.  If
you are not an expert, then trade with good people.  Some who have done
well in the past would include your fellow LUG members on their for sale
Friday, Tamarkin, Rich Pinto at PhotoVillage, KEH, Central Camera in
Chicago, Jake at Blue Moon Camera out west, Sam Shoshan at Classic
Connection, Kevin at Kevin's Cameras, B&H if you can get to the store as
their grading is a little loose.  That auction site is also a good place
I've heard, but there have been a lot of very loosely graded equipment
sold lately.

I did not put the current Summicron on the list because I knew others
would tout it, the older models can be acquired at less expense, you
wanted a faster lens, and for some reason I almost never pick mine up.
If I don't use it, I would not recommend it even if I don't know why.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com