Subject: [Leica] Seeking a new 50
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Mar 25 10:11:14 2005

Don,

Thanks for the thoughful reply. How closely does the DR focus
without the "eyes" ?  And wasn't there a lens with the same or
similar optical formula that wasn't dual range?

Regarding the middle 50 Lux, is that the penultimate lens?  Does
the fall off occur only at larger apertures, or at smaller ones as well?

My next question concerns acquisition. I've never purchased an
older Leica lens.  Is it relatively easy to find a clean sample? I read
alot about "cleaning marks" and what not.  I'm not sure what my
expectations should be.

For used Nikon lenses, I've found KEH to be a very reliable vendor.
When they say perfect glass, they usually mean it. But their stock of
Leica lenses isn't that extensive.

Interesting that you put the current Elmar on the list, but not the current
Summicron.  Food for thought.  For now, I've declared the 50/1.4 ASPH
officially "out of my league." I've got to put some limits on this Leica
lust :-)

Thanks for all the help.

Scott