Subject: [Leica] 75mm F/2 M lens?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Mar 20 18:29:01 2005

For Leica to attach a new set of framelines to its M cameras a few quick
decades ago and only have one lens to fit those framelines which get in the
way of your viewing of your 50mm shot has always struck me as funny.
The 75 1.4 is a special purpose lens almost like the Noctilux.

It's weight, sure but to me it's the size which is the issue.
Its huge, blocking more of the frameline than any other lens/frameline
combination I think.
This lens has never as yet captured my imagination making it about the only
Leica m focal length I've put off. Eventually I think I'd pick one up
especially as the used prices are getting pretty good for them. But its not
near the top of my list.

The compact 2.5 offering, one of the first from Cosina-Voigtl?nder didn't do
it for me either. I implored Leica on the Lug to come out with one of their
own and now they've done so.
Exactly what this doctor ordered.
Only I'd have gone for a 2.8 and had go a bit more compact.

But "Summicron" is a marque (like "Tri X") which sells for Leica and it
won't go up against the Cosina-Voigtl?nder 2.5 which many already have of
would think of as an option. But what do I care about marketing?

"How much of the frameline does it block?" is the question much more than
relative weight I'd think would be more on the point and I'm surprised no
one brings up.
I think that's just the issue which has been addressed by Leica.
I'm betting it blocks little to none of the frameline now.
And I think it's going to balance stupendously.

It will fit nicely into my Leica lens set which is fairly modern having only
gotten into this 12 years ago. My 50 Summicron is of course not ASPH but the
rest of them all seem to have this little obscure moniker on them if not
"APO" if not both.
This makes for a level of imaging which to me makes it worth shooting film
with my Leica system over the standard of the industry results I get from my
easy to use AF and what have you Nikons.
And Rangefinder over SLR I'm happy about anyway for most stuff. Even longer
than 50mm stuff.

As Joseph Yao mentions it will make a nice companion of look to the ASPH APO
90 which I shoot with a lot.
But lets face it. All the Leica lenses are ASPH's now but the bench is full
decade by decade back to the 1920s for suitable and interesting options if
one has this anti ASPH bias as is so popular among many of my friends as of
late.
Not by me though.

Or if one had gotten the bulk of ones Leica system before the ASPH's hit and
are not inclined to trade. Which would have been my frame of mind.

>From a practical hands on perspective I can't shoot a promo pack for a
musician or other entertainer or a model portfolio for a model wanabee or
fashion or a portrait job with a 50 on the camera ever. Unless it's a group
shot.
In a typical 5 roll such shoot the 50 never enters into the picture.
Its all done with the 90. And no mirrors.

I could not get a good full length vertical shot for fashion of portrait in
my pre Leica Nikon days with my 85 as it shortened them. I needed the 105.
The opposite of the typical work Flo.
Normally the less tight you are shooting the shorter the lens, not the
longer.
Heads, the 135
Head and shoulders to the knees, the 90.
Full length the 50.

Full length 50 for me, sure for a lineup of a group of people.
But not a single shot of one person. Unless I'ts a horizontal.
It squishes them.

Now it's the 90 with a Leica instead of the Nikon 85/105.
The 90 being a slightly less humane 85/ more humane 105.
And all in one easy to grab package.

People do not want to appear shorter than they already are. They want to
look the same if not taller. And that "tallness" and fashion photography go
hand in hand. It's the "line" or something which makes the clothes look
good.

I Love the 50 for general use, street shooting but when I'm getting paid to
shoot people the lens never gets near the camera. I'd not even bring it with
me on location.

But the 90 is a bit off putting.
And hard to work with in a way.

I've screamed for years for a Leica 75 for me to use because I've thought I
could get even more mileage out of it for paid people work than the 90.
Especially if I could do full lengths with it.
But even if not I can see myself dong most of a shoot with the 75 and only
using the 90 for maybe full lengths and heads. I don't need all that
formality. (Heads which don't need the 135.)
Before I switched back and forth between a body with the Nikon 85 and 105.
Now it would be between a Leica M with a 75 and 90.
Both APO ASPH's.
This would only break my little heart.

Get your APO ASPH promo pack right here!

Shot on real Ilford XP2 film and scanned into 22 megapixel oblivion by a
Nikon 5000 scanner!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon