Subject: [Leica] Re: Pushing C-41 films
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Mar 18 20:23:11 2005

On 3/18/05 5:27 PM, "JCB" <jcb@visualimpressions.com> typed:

> As I said, pushed two stops and over... things tend to fall apart.
>
> :-)
>
> JB
>

> At 10:31 AM 3/18/2005, Didier Ludwig wrote:
>> Pushed 3 stops: http://gallery.leica-users.org/Didier-various/aldo_22b

The people, many of whom were pros, I know around here who've printed at the
rental color lab over the years would "push" their color neg. film having
the lab up it a notch but continue to expose it normally with the ASA on the
box. The "push" was to simply extract more contrast out of the neg. most of
which tend to be too low in contrast to aid in machine printing.
But generally while pushing e6 slide films is very viable pushing c41 films
is generally ill advised. Often resulting in color crossovers. And not
really resulting in any real speed increase which is measured by the film
speed you'd use to achieve full shadow detail.

This photo which ran a week ago strikes me as being under exposed a good
full two stops. But represents an type of image which is almost viable
anyway done this way.
How many viable images Didier was above to pull out of a typical roll of
generally subject I'd like to see. I'd think few.
I also disagree with his classifying such photography as low light
photography. Cameras with out good center weighted or spot meters will be
fooled by such performance subjects into over exposing the heck out of the
subject itself which has quite a bit of light on it and is generally shot
hand held with no problem with short to longish teles with ample shutter
speeds (125th) and not ultra fast films. 400 I'm sure being the norm.

A basic rule of c41 is just make sure it gets enough exposure.
Unfortunately development does not much affect this like is often would with
slide films designed for this and sometimes but not often does in black and
white.

When monochrome Chromegic films first came out from Ilford and Agfa they
hyped the idea that film speed was wildly variable.
Pick your ASA!
This turned out to be in no way true.
And they stopped hyping that fantasy after awhile.

As there is no reason certainly that it would be more true with monochrome
c41 than it would be with full color 41 film.

But it's been planted in our collective unconscious as a civilization.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/