Subject: [Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Sat Mar 19 03:03:55 2005

Richard wrote:
> This is pretty crazy. I am almost 43, married for 21 years, have 2 kidz,
> silicon valley mortgage, runs a small business, and... I am thinking
> about getting a photography degree...
>
> I already have a Bachelor degree in EE and a Master degree in Comp. Sci.
> May be it would be easier if I spend the money and just buys lots of
> film and travel around and takes tons of pictures and learn to enjoy
> Xtol in the morning. Yet somehow there is a yearning. The Academy of Art
> (www.academyart.edu) is almost local enough, right in SF, and I can even
> take online courses. I suppose I am more interested in the "Fine Arts,"
> Documentary type of work, but I don't know.
>
> I don't know, may be the feeling will disappear tomorrow.
>
> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
> please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Hi Richard,

I understand your feeling. I greatly believe in  continuous education. I
got a bachelor degree in food science a few years ago and started a
course in portrait photography few weeks ago. It is only a 15 week
course and really would like to go for a degree.
What I like the most is that I meet people with the same interest. This
greatly helps discussion and accelerates the learning. It sometimes goes
too slow to learn everything on your own.
I'd say, go for it you're only 43 and never old enough to stop learning.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Crazy idea? Getting a photography degree)