Subject: [Leica] Should Leica sell direct to customers?
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue Mar 15 03:59:21 2005

Frank Filippone wrote:

> No.  It short cuts the dealer network. Dealer networks take in inventory
> and
> hold it, thus cutting factory inventory, increasing factory demos, and
> lowering customer support.
>
> Bad move.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

Frank,

Dealers hold inventory, the cost of which they pass on to you the buyer. If
the
factory is selling direct to the purchaser then it isn't building for dealer
inventory and can reduce its workforce accordingly as it now knows what the
actual demand is. Thisd means that costs and probably prices can be reduced,
or
at least that there is more room for flexibility. However dealer stock does
have
the effect of cushioning the factory from the worst of surges in demand.

Personally I don't like factory demos 'cos I want to see a product from my
perspective, not from an "incentivised" salesman's.

I appreciate dealers and don't think it's an easy call.

What is really a minefield is price-fixing. If Leica did not attempt to fix
retail prices, then the purchaser would benefit and volume might increase.
Why
do they imagine that new camera sales are falling...?

Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Should Leica sell direct to customers?)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Should Leica sell direct to customers?)