Subject: [Leica] Event Photography
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 18:13:03 2005

In a message dated 3/14/05 5:08:51 PM, mark1smiles@yahoo.com writes:

> Technology has a way making the best get better, and having the mediocre
> fall away. As you said, the pinch is on.
> ----------------------------------
Mark,

What bothers me is that the technical quality will apparently improve by a
magnitude, but there will be magnitudinal drop in the authenticity and
spontaneity of photography. A family album was grass roots history. I think
we'll see
the last of it by 2010 because digital is so good at making things look
good,
correcting and compensating and so on.

I had a revelatory experience last Sunday. We went to a movie at our local
art cinema. Before the show they projected slides of somebody's family
prints.
Who knows why? Judging by the cars, the time was 1965. The shots were all
over
the place. People standing in a group with hats on and long coats. I don't
know who those folks were. Most of the shots seem to be taken in some town
on the
CA coast. Some exposed well. Most of the others were marginal. But yet they
held my attention. Why? That question assailed me driving home. Then it
occurred to me. The reasons those prints were fascinating is that they
showed
history. Streets, highways, buinesses, people walking around. Looking back,
all that
became precious to me because everything had changed since then. It was a
lost
world erased by about 4 decades of daily change.

Bob