Subject: [Leica] looking at Pentax *ist D
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 14 16:27:18 2005

On 3/13/05 4:59 PM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> Mark Rabiner wrote...
>
> "And Leica, should it survive, will when it comes out with it's digital
> body have its eye on compactness. Not an R8/9 based life form. They'll
> aim more at the CL."
>
> And you know this because...?

It's my arthritis, BD. It acts up every 30 years when the camera industry
realizes it's products are porcine and puts them on a diet..
When camera companies realize that the size of a camera body should reflect
the size of it's format. Image circle.

Maitani with his Olympus OM1 took 33% off the weight and bulk of the 35mm
SLR camera industry as the were all caught with their pants down and had to
follow suit or look like idiots and go out of business.
By the way I just checked the dates to find out the relationship between the
CL and OM1.

Olympus OM1 1972
Leica CL 1973

http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/om_concept.html

I found these original Maitani ads and controversy
http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/maitani_adv.html

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon