Subject: [Leica] Fair enough - now typewriters
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Fri Mar 4 07:18:19 2005

Here was some real neuralgia, er, I mean nostalgia  ;-)
My going-away-to-college gift from my parents was a Remington portable that
served me well despite all of the issues recited in this thread, messy
ribbon ink, errors to be corrected et al. Used it through college and law
school. When I was released from active duty in the Navy and accepted a
2-year Ford Foundation Fellowship in Comparative Law, a year at NYU Law
School and a year at the Law Faculty of the University of Paris, I used some
of my Navy separation pay (60 days' unused leave) to buy an Olympia portable
that I used during those two law student years and for years afterward at
home when transcribing some verse and short fiction that I wrote when not
practicing law.

That Olympia was - and is - built like, well, like a Leica. It's a fortress.
Still have it though I haven't used it in maybe ten years. Last time I did,
I had it lubricated - it didn't need "clean" or "adjust" - and with
difficulty found a new ribbon! It will still be chugging along when my
granddaughter's granddaugher starts college. Of course, she will not know
what this object is!

Seth

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Fair enough - now typewriters)