Subject: [Leica] Leica No. 50353
From: ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner)
Date: Thu Mar 3 22:28:13 2005

I recently inherited my mother's camera, which I think is a Leica A
(No. 50353). She bought it from a friend, a freighter captain, shortly
after the end of WWII. He said that he had bought it from a refugee who
needed money. She used it for decades, and it seems to function now,
but the last person who worked on it, some years ago, told her "A lot
of these parts are worn very thin--you really shouldn't be using it."
(At an earlier repair, the old German technician opened it up and said,
"Oh, those lovely brass gears...")

I know it's old, if only because I've been acquainted with it all my
life, but I wonder if a knowledgeable person here can tell me a little
about how early in Leica history it really is. I've put up a few
pictures at

http://homepage.mac.com/eric_ladner/PhotoAlbum2.html

(My apologies for the on-camera-flash glare--it's all I can do with my
current little digital camera.)

I'm not interested in selling it, and am curious about value only for
insurance purposes. I'd mainly just like to know a little more about
this old family friend.

Many thanks,
Eric