Subject: [Leica] OT: Contax ceased production of 35mm cameras,digital to follow
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Mar 3 19:31:50 2005

Tim,

That  sounds good, but Nikon and Canon we're moving earlier. They're
market leaders, and the industry isn't so big that the others weren't going
to notice.  Pentax seems to have gotten something out the door, and same
for Oly and Minolta.  P&S digicams seem all over the place, including
even bargain off-brand models by now.

So why the seeming innability to act on the part of the high quality
rat pack, to scramble and come up with the goods once the handwriting
was on the wall?  Hell, doesn't premo glass deserve the latest body
technology as at least an option - AF, flash metering, or digital in this
case.   Is it an issue of product cycle times, NIH syndrome or other
aspects corporate culture?

Just weird to me, I guess. And kind of sad.

Scott