Subject: [Leica] M42 lenses
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Feb 25 19:20:44 2005

S.,
It is just what you would expect.  There is no issue with differing
focal length calculations and cam grinds so the glass is what the glass
is.  When the Russian team does the job right you have one of the
outstanding 85mm lenses made.

Russian quality control being what it is, always either inspect before
purchasing or have a right of return.  On the other hand, with what they
are going for, what is to lose?

Specifically, my example is sharp wide open; sharp with the edges
rounded on the fine details.  By F4 the lens is as good as you could
want.  Flare is reasonable if you use a hood, but there is considerable
veiling flare when there is a bright light in the frame.  My example is
single coated.

Really, at under $40 for a clean example there is no reason not to try
one out for yourself.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com