Subject: [Leica] Re: Last film on earth
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 23 20:06:25 2005

>> HUH? It's perfectly clear! Mark said Today's Tri-X is not the Tri-X we
>> grew
>> up with. They did a makeover a year or so ago (new plant) and goofed on
>> the
>> recipe. So we should call it anything but Tri-X.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> JB

Having Googled "evolution of Tri-x" and getting Jack I just goggled tri-x in
quotes and got an interesting shutterbug article by
Frances E. Schultz, November, 2004

35MM TRI-X CELEBRATES ITS 50TH
http://www.shutterbug.com/features/1104sb_35mm/

" The first of the X-films was Panatomic-X in 1938. Two-thirds of a century
later, there?s some doubt about what the X was for: probably ?Extra,? as it
was faster and sharper and finer grained than the original Panatomic that it
replaced. Later in the same year came Plus-X; the short-lived Super-X; and
the Super-X replacement, Super XX. Then came Ortho-X in ?39 and Tri-X in
?40."

" But if Tri-X appeared in ?40, 64 years ago, why is Kodak celebrating its
50th anniversary now? Simple. Until ?54 it was available only as sheet film:
that year marked its appearance in 35mm and roll film. Hence the golden
anniversary. "

He then goes on to say and I guess this will make for good business for
Shutterbug.

" The point is, Tri-X is one of photography?s classics. In 35mm format, it
shares a birthday with one of the cameras that made it famous, the Leica
M-series. It would not be exaggerating to say that the fame of the two is
related: one of the world?s greatest professional films was (and is) very
often found in one of the world?s greatest professional cameras. "

So it would seem Frances E. Schultz is a Leicaphile as well as Trix one.

And in the middle he states what we are talking about:

" Of course, today?s Tri-X is a completely different film from the Tri-X of
?40 or ?54 or even the ?80s, and vastly better. Every revision, including
the latest about 18 months ago, has always been greeted with a chorus of
complaints, but personally I?m all in favor of such improvements as finer
grain, higher sharpness, and less risk of reticulation."

Boy did I reticulate a strip of tri x once in I think 1969.
I chromium intensified it and washed it in too hot water.
And it had gone from hot to cold and back  again I think.

I tried later to reproduce this and never could.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Epson printer)
Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Re: Last film on earth)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: Last film on earth)