Subject: [Leica] 135 Hektor question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Feb 24 17:35:06 2005

> Number 2 is --- #1737667 Leica M-mount, black and red lettering on
> distance scale to 100 ft then infinity, HEKTOR 1:4.5/135 LEITZ
> WETZLAR, no "r" on focus index, tripod mount with 1/4 and 3/8 holes.
>
> Number 3 is --- #854633 Short mount for Visoflex, all brushed chrome
> with black lettering, Hektor f=13.5cm 1:4.5 Ernst Leitz Wetzlar.
>
> Is there any appreciable difference between these three lenses in
> design, performance, desireability, or any other factor?
>
> I have the 135 short mount Hektor on a Viso II on an M-1, works great.
>
> Thanks, Mike

I've shot with two of these lenses. Still have my second.
I keep the head with my Viso system as I find it crucial to it's fun-ness.

The first 135 Hektor I got from Camera World over the counter for 99 bucks
was a fish bowl when you get back from vacation.
The second looks not quite as sharp as my state of the art 2.4 APO Telyt as
you look at a contact sheet with an average loupe or look at a 8x10 darkroom
print. Which is all the output I have to choose from from these optics as
yet that I can recall.

I got the first 135 Hektor even before I got my first 90.
To see if the small framelines were a problem for me.
I took to them like a fish to a nice clean fishbowl!

For 99 bucks how bad could it be?
And a "Portrait" lens can always be good old.
Although I don't subscribe to the theory of your lens being at least as old
as your subject. Find it chauvinistic and old fashioned.
I say just pull back.
Shoot it "far far away".
Meaning don't to tight headshots of problem people.
Shoot such portraiture from the waste up at least.
Why not?

Or get real good at cloning from a scan. Which I am.

The Head of a 135 Hektor takes to your Viso and bellows like a duck to a
clean pond. Strait from a daffodil to infinity!
Do not pass go do not collect 200 USD.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon