Subject: [Leica] LEICA could be clever
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Feb 23 16:41:43 2005

What's so sad is that after putting the meter in the M at the point when
everyone had already put meters in their SLRs and some had even gone to
AE or even more automation, Leica was cowed by the collector types in
its fan base, who complained that no real Leica would have a meter, and
who said that the M5 was much to big, and ugly, and didn't look like a
Leica - those of you who own and love them know what BS this is, and
those of you who don't should check out the measurements. ;-)

So Leica buckled, and went to the M4 series, afraid to go the meter
route again until the late 80s, when the geniuses at Solms finally
figured out how to get a meter into an M without making it look
different. Of course when they then introduced TTL flash metering a good
15 years after other manufacturers, folks on this very list whined and
bitched that the TTL is how much higher than the standard M6?

So now we hear that the MP - which may indeed be beautifully built, but
which retains a rewind system no one who has ever had to rewind in a
hurry would want - outsells the M7. Well, I'm sure that's true; there's
no question the MP will call to the 'classicists' far louder than the
M7. And obviously some will read that as proving that Leica should
remain loyal to its loyalists, and only produce 'classic' cameras.

Those folks may be right. On the other hand, there obviously aren't
enough of those classicists out there to keep Leica alive, so how smart
has it been to listen to those folks all along, rather than figure out
how to produce truly modern rangefinders that remain as close as
possible to the classic Leicas in appearance, while continuing to use
the M mount lenses?