Subject: [Leica] A 70-200 by any other crop circle...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Feb 19 20:11:10 2005

At 12:15 PM -0500 2/19/05, B. D. Colen wrote:
>The two lenses they announced - (in 35 mm equivalents) 28-70 f2 and
>70-200 f2, mean that a photographer can carry only two lenses and go
>from 28 to 200 at f 2 the whole way - and how cool is that? Add to that
>either the already existing  (35 equiv) 22-44 2.8-3.5, or the new (35
>equiv) of 14-2? F4, and all of a sudden the E-1 offers a real
>alternative to digital shooters who don't want to use flash all the
>time. Will this make a real dent in the Nikon or Canon pro lines? Highly
>unlikely. But will these lenses - and a new 8 or so mgp rendition of the
>E-1 prove to be Olympus's iPod? Good chance.

Those lenses sound very interesting, but in view of the fact that at
high ISO's Olympus is about one stop behind the Canon 20D with
respect to noise levels, the f/2.8 lenses available for Canon are
just as useful in low light, and on top of that Canon has some f/1.4
lenses. The sensor size/image size differences also will even the DOF
issue pretty much. The good thing is that with the newly announced
lenses Olympus has now caught up and can shoot in as low light levels
as Canon shooters can with the 20D and their f/2.8 zooms.