Subject: [Leica] How much does it cost to make an M4-P2 $499? body the buyout
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Feb 17 23:39:14 2005

My guess is that the bulk of the manufacturing cost of a Leica is in
the rangefinder, shutter mechanics and the mechanical precision of the
film to lens register. The meter probably is <5% of the cost. Precision
mechanics is still very expensive to make, electronics gets cheaper by
the day. I would be prepared to bet that a M7 is much cheaper to make
than a M6 and only is premium priced because it is the latest model and
has a "new" feature AE.
Frank