Subject: [Leica] Leica Solms reports ... now new equipment survey
From: summicron at bellsouth.net (Frank F. Farmer)
Date: Thu Feb 17 19:40:26 2005

While, yes, Leica is not in the market of manufacturing "modern digital
autofocus" cameras, Leica has not been a huge share of the professional
market for years, I would guess.  I certainly am not a professional,
nor do I do anything more by this post but wonder aloud - but I would
venture to say that most of us are not using our Leicas professionally
either.  GRANTED, a number of the members of this list do put their M
whatever through the professional grind everyday.  However, most of us
are taking pictures of our cats, kids, and kin, myself included.  We do
this because we like Leicas and enjoy using a quality instrument - like
writing with a fine fountain pen.  Given that we who are not paying for
our equipment by using our equipment are a good portion of the list
(once again, assuming) how many folk have purchased new equipment in
the last couple of years?  Just wondering.

Me, you ask?  I have only made four Leica purchases ever (since 2000):
1 M6TTL (new), 1 Tri-Elmar (new) (later sold to purchase the next item
on the list), 1 35mm Summicron Asph (new) and 1 M3 (used) - I'm saving
for a 50 Summicron that I plan to purchase new.  Am I alone?  I'm
betting that I am not.  Don't get me wrong, given the funds, I'm sure
I'd go on a buying spree of used and new equipment.  Even so, I don't
think I'd be able to fix problem on Leica's books.