Subject: [Leica] Back to Lisboa, new pictures
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Wed Feb 16 14:59:23 2005

To Henning J. Wulff,
Hi Henning,
Thank you very much for your comments, I'll keep your advice and try to see
through your experiences, in fact I'm maybe to much accommodate with the
tradionnal ways...
Saludos cordiales,
Luis

Luis,

I won't try to speak for Nathan, but my experience has been that if
you like projecting slides on a screen, digital has nothing to offer
at present that comes close. That's not because the image quality
doesn't measure up, but because the digital projectors don't measure
up.

On the other hand, if you want to produce a print, especially colour,
film has a hard time competing with something like the Canon 20D, let
alone the 1Ds. This seems to hold with images up to about 16x20in.;
above that well printed fine grain film seems to hold its own against
digital. I'm talking here about 35mm based digital; medium and large
format digital does very well indeed at the largest output sizes, and
competes well at those sizes but at a price. At low light levels
digital output from digital SLR's has it all over colour negative
film.

The fact is that at present you can produce 8x10in colour prints with
a sub-$1000US DSLR-lens combination that are noticeably superior in a
technical sense than you can with a $5000US Leica camera-lens
combination if you are shooting in poor lighting conditions. In good
light, the difference goes away and becomes more a difference of
interpretation than quality.
--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design