Subject: [Leica] Re: Help with studio lighting: PAW 7
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Feb 13 17:25:21 2005

Alistair,
A light tent is an easy thing to create.  Find some white translucent
material such as a white sheet, white shirt, you get the drift.  Set up
your shot with the intended background curving up so the tent will not
show.  Drape the tent so that you can shoot through an opening at the
angle you want.  The room does not need to be dark, but you will have to
watch the color of the room light.

If you have an R8, then use any old flash and use the flash meter.  If
you choose to use the Digilux, then you can use tungsten lights and do a
custom white balance.  If your sister and wife want you to do this on a
long term basis then you can buy commercial tents for not that much.
See:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=
1410

There are not really any rules, just tried and true methods for adding
or removing reflections.  For example, if you cut up some strips of
Roscoe gels just off camera then you will add some diffuse bands of
color that might enliven the scene.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com