Subject: [Leica] wide angles are funny
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Feb 12 12:27:48 2005

i was watching the extras in the Coen Brother's film: _Miller's
Crossing_ and one short was an interview with Barry Sonnenfeld,
cinematographer that film as well as _Raising Arizona_ (and subsequently
director of _Men in Black_.)

sonnenfeld starts off
the interview saying "I really liked still photography; I owned LEICAS
and stuff like that."  i appreciated the implicit leica litmus test.

later on in the interview he comments that in shooting his favorite lens
is 21mm (which i guess is something like 30mm for 35mm still photography,
since it is double-frame).

sonnenfeld concludes the lens discussion:

"long lenses are handsome,
 wide angles are funny."

pithy.

-rei

p.s. BTW, _Miller's Crossing_ is a wonderful and lesser-known film,
     even if you're not a Coen brother fan, I think MC has
     much to recommend it.

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey