Subject: [Leica] Which 35mm 'cron or 'lux?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Feb 11 11:11:58 2005

At 7:24 PM -0500 2/10/05, William G. Lamb, III wrote:
>Carl,
>
>Frank's summary was pretty good. Perhaps you are also overlooking
>another option to round off your kit?
>
>Personally, I love the fingerprint of the 35 Lux ASPH, but it just
>blocks too much of the viewfinder to make a compact package with an
>M and what I consider to be my "normal" lens. If I want to block my
>viewfinder, I use a 28/f2 ASPH which is Leica's modern answer to the
>35mm traditional documentary lens. On all counts it does not
>disappoint, is one of the finest Leica lenses, has a wonderful warm
>fingerprint and is optically superior to both the 35 Lux ASPH and
>the 35/2 ASPH.

All three of those lenses are excellent. I've never seen a shred of
evidence that states the 28 is better.

>If you want to stick with 35mm, I've got a perfect new black spare
>which is surplus to demand because I'm using the LHSA chrome version
>mainly on my chrome MP .58. You are welcome to it for $1,250 U.S.,
>complete with box and case, etc. This lens is capable of the highest
>image quality in most circumstances, but it is not perfect. In
>bright light combined with conditions of high humidity it can
>vignette.

Vignetting is a function of optical design, mechanical construction
and aperture. It is never affected by light level or humidity (unless
you breath heavily on it). :-)

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design