Subject: [Leica] 75 'cron
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Feb 6 02:43:59 2005

Hi Frank,
this does not agree with my experience, such as it is. I would have
partly agreed with you until last November, now I disagree completely.
Firstly the area I was in agreement.
I always thought the resolution of a lens was an overrated aspect of
its appeal for digital photography, simply because of the limited and
fixed resolution of the sensor. I have a Canon 16.7 megapixel camera
now and did, for the sake of self satisfaction, a series of
photographic tests on various Canon and Leica lenses. There were marked
differences, maybe due to sample variation etc, but the differences
were quite obvious.
The area where I was not in agreement applies to film just as much as
digital. The flare resistance of lenses is an extremely important
characteristic, when it affects overall contrast.

Certainly software can easily compensate for distortion, if the
distortion data is known of course. I understand all the Olympus 4/3
lenses have this data in their chip and their software automatically
compensates. It can increase apparent sharpness but at the expense of
resolution. Colour modification is easy but getting each colour correct
relative to the others requires the lens to be balanced in the first
place, colour adjustments in the software I have seen are too
interrelated to correct for offsets in lens colour balance.

The character of the Leica lenses I own are clearly distinguishable on
files from an Epson RD1, I have tried a few for fun including 1930s
Elmar and a Summar which has been coated at some time. I have a few
Nikon screw mount lenses which I fancy trying, including an early 50
f1.5. These are all clearly different. I am not a digital manipulation
expert but I would be staggered if all these lenses could be made to be
all the same by software means. The superiority of the best lenses is
clearest at maximum aperture. Here lenses differ to an extent that I
would have to see a "before my eyes" demonstration of the poor being
made equal to the excellent! That would be really something.
Frank