Subject: [Leica] 75 'cron
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Feb 5 20:33:02 2005

Don, I agree 100%.  It is a waste of time and R+D.

I also love the 75.  But as opposed to many on this list ( and I may be the
ONLY one that believes this) the Leica optics will not be the same when put
in front of a digital sensor compared to film.  They are going to be
different, and  may be considerably blah when compared to the others'
optics.  i.e., and my specific belief, that digital images are created in
firmware/software.  The lens is one of the least important parts of the
image capture/ image creation chain.  Super optics or just plain good optics
could look the same.

Interesting digital story form about 2 weeks ago......

I was with a bunch of LF amateur and pro photographers.  We were out taking
pictures ( or at least trying to) when IT started.  A discussion of digital
LF.  One of the gang had a 4x5 back for his Sinar ( ?) that captured ( I
remember this pretty well) 10,000x13,000 Pixels PER SQUARE INCH.  A complete
scan was like 300MB, so I may have the number of pixels per square inch
wrong.  It really was 600MB per scan. .  ( It took 2 minutes to capture this
scene, and of course, nothing could move in that timeframe, so in the 40MPH
winds, it was pretty useless except for rocks).  The person that owned this
back claimed that when he takes pictures of art work, he then can pass the
digital files through Genuine Fractals ( or something like that) and can get
40x50 prints that are indistinguishable from 8x10 FILM at the same
enlargement.  While everyone could debate this bit of.. mine is better/
bigger/ whatever that yours is,  the message was clearly that film is dead,
for professional purposes.  What did the guy shoot?  11x14 film camera for
platinum prints.  150 year old technology.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

With all due respect, another 75 will not sell many lenses.  Low sales,
low revenue, equals R&D money down the drain.  For most Leica shooters,
the absence of a 75 will be of no consequence.  Most could fall back on
a 50 or a 90.  I happen to be an owner a passionate devote of the 75
Summilux, but I think its sales rank right up there with the 135 APO or
maybe the 90 macro.

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] 75 'cron now large format digital capture)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] 75 'cron)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] 75 'cron)