Subject: [Leica] Question about Canon
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Feb 2 08:01:10 2005

Sorry to contradict you Nathan (well only a little bit),
the main difference between the Rebel (300D) and the 10D is the bodywork. To
about 99% the innards are the same, except for a couple of firmware options
on
the menu in fact almost identical.
I've been using a 300D since last July and have had no problems at all with
it.
According to all the German photographic magazines it is at least as good
as,
and in some tests better than, the 10D, for example the noise level are
lower
with long exposures or high ISO values.
What I must criticise however, is the lack of mass or weight of the body,
for me
it only becomes really usable with the battery hand-grip attached, it is
just
too light - maybe this is something that would appeal to others but I don't
like
it much.I always have the feeling it's going to slip off my shoulder.

Another thing, the Rebel is not quite as weatherproof as the other bodies.

As to what you can fit on the front of it -
Leica-R,Nikon,M42,T2,Contax/Yashica
and of course Canon FD (not to mention the EF and EF-S autofocus
lenses).This is
what clinched it for me when I was at first considering a Nikon D70.

I've since moved up to a 20D but the 300D is still in regular use.In spite
of
the "drawbacks", At the end of the day I would definitely prefer a new Rebel
a used 10D.
It's a very good DSLR, a touch more state-of-the-art ,and of course you get
the
warranty/guarantee with it  - which IMO is also not to be sniffed at.
If you get the chance handle both of them and see which one fits your hands,
your eyes and your needs.
Looking forward to seeing the first pictures
cheers
Douglas