Subject: [Leica] Re: What is the best non ttl flash to use?
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Mon Jan 31 16:28:10 2005

I'm not one of those people who thinks that flash on a
Leica is blasphemy.

There are times when the available light just won't
deliver a photo of the appropriate quality --
especially when one must satisfy a paying customer.

At those times, mastery of flash photography and
ownership of a high-quality light source is essential.

I use a Metz 45CT1 on my M cameras, often with some
sort of Lumiquest attached when there is no convenient
wall of ceiling for bounce flash. The Metz is
connected to a Quantum Turbo Z for a constant power
supply.

This setup gives a tremendous amount of light that is
easily controlled.

The only real downside is that the handle-mount
bracket slows down re-loading with the M's removable
baseplate.

The advantage of using the M with flash is that there
is no blackout at the moment of exposure, so you can
see whether people have blinked their eyes or moved.

Emanuel