Subject: [Leica] SF-24
From: leica35 at yahoo.com (Roger Bunting)
Date: Fri Jan 28 02:11:22 2005

Folks,

I've been reading the SF-24 specs and it looks to me
like it offers more f-stop settings in A-mode than the
SF-20; also possibly a larger compensation range. (I
would be using this flash with a M6 Classic).

I've also found a statement that the f-stop settings
are "independent" of ISO. I can read that multiple
ways, but what I want is something that offers the
f2.0 setting independent of film ISO rating. Any
comments?

I'm looking for a unit that will allow me some
flexibility for those indoor shots that are just
documentary (not art :-) ). e.g. light level is
sufficient for "strobe not needed" photography but I
want to soften some shadows. So in my mind what I want
is match the f-stop on the flash to that of the lens,
dial in a -0.7 to -1.5 setting and go. I'm trying to
go mindeless here because I don't use that capability
that often but when I do, don't want my usual "pilot"
error.

I've also looked at the Nikon sb-30 and it mates well
with my SLR system but the f-stop settings are not
independent of film speed (ISO setting).

I'm really looking for that f2.0 pub fill flash where
you need to erase some shadows of the overhead
lighting, etc.

Thanks and regards
Roger