Subject: [Leica] Checking this plan
From: leica35 at yahoo.com (Roger Bunting)
Date: Fri Jan 28 07:11:04 2005

Folks,

I currently own a M6 Classic, 35mm Summicron ASPH and
50mm Summilix. The camera viewfinder flares for me for
any off center eye movement (the much dreaded post M3
problem). The 35mm bright lines lie just outside my
view in the VF.

The camera has been on my shelf for about a year now
because I just could no longer deal with the VF
problem. Recently I spent several days sifting back
through my photo archives and realized that my plan to
sell the camera was a really bad one. The superior
results just jumped out.

Here's my plan to validate my usage.

Leica Plan:

1) Have M6 0.72x Classic VF cleaned and modified with
MP components to minimize rangefinder patch glare.
($200)

Improve: This should improve greatly my usage of the
35mm lens with this camera. I currently know the 35mm
bright-line is present and have to hunt for it ever so
slightly.

Question: will it also permit 28mm usage for me (e.g.
allow me to search the outer reaches of the VF w/o the
RF patch becoming impossible to use.

2) Add 28mm lens: either a CV 28 mm f3.5 or nice
sample of Leica 28mm f2.8 pre-ASPH. ($350-$800)
depending on choice.

How is the usage with the M6 28 mm bright-line in the
newly modified improved VF?
Good: (stop)
Not So Good: (add 28mm CV axillary finder)

3) Add the 28mm finder, $150

Workable - yes: (stop)
Workable - no: (whoops) - sell all or

4) Add a 0.58x M6 Classic/M7?/MP: ($1500-$3000)

Now quite belly aching and take pictures. 0.58x with
35mm mounted (and 28mm in pocket) plus 0.72x with 50mm
mounted. Could this be better? My favorite traveling
SLR kit is a 28/45/105. In the N**** line, these are
not shabby lenses, but still IMO not up to these Leica
replacements

5) Anytime after (2) and a workable solution for the
28mm: Add 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M $1000.

I would really like to have two bodies, but adding the
second body is a financial killer for me. And the ease
of use of the 28mm is really the trigger point for
everything else happening. Hopefully with the improved
M6 Classic VF, the four lens kit (28/35/50/90) should
really serve me well.

So what do you think. Goal to add workable 28mm to
0.72x M6 body with VF restrictions posed by RF flare
and high eyepoint due to glasses.

Thanks
Roger