Subject: [Leica] Wireless Network?
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Wed Jan 26 14:26:13 2005

Tina Manley wrote:
> LUG:
>
> I've got lots of questions today, but they all relate to Leica someway
> ;-)   Besides, there are so many experts on the LUG that somebody always
> has an answer.
>
> My husband wants to establish a wireless network in our house so he and
> my daughter don't have to use my desk computer every time they wants to
> send e-mail or use Google.  I have a cable modem that is very fast and I
> use it every day, all day, to FTP my Leica photos all over the world.  I
> don't want to do anything that would interfere with my fast connection
> and FTP service.  I know nothing about wireless networks.  Is it
> possible to have a wireless connection that is as fast as my cable
> modem?  What do I need for that?  I don't even know what to look up on
> Google to find such a thing.  Help?!
>
> TIA
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP
> www.tinamanley.com

Hi Tina,

Simon is right.
Wireless network comes in two flavors. The 11Mb/s and the 54Mb/s. This
speed is only available within your own home network. The speed to the
internet is determined by the speed of your internet connection which
most likely will be much lower then the 11Mb/s. Only if you transfer
large files within your own network this speed can be a limitation. For
that reason i use a network cable between two of my computers, the
others are using wireless. A network cable can transfer 100Mb/s.
I'm not sure how cable works were you live but I guess you'll need a
wireless router right behind your modem. This router distributes the
internet on to your computers. The bit more fancy ones will also right
away provide you with a built in firewall.
Then you need a wireless network card or a USB thing for everyone of
your computers to connect to your new wireless router.
On every computer you now have to make a new network connection to use
the wireless adapter. If you leave everything blank it will probably
already work because the router will assign automatically an internal IP
number to the connected computers.
It really sounds more complicated then it is.
If you google for 'setting up a wireless home network' you'll get plenty
hits.

Good luck.

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from anders.nygren at gmail.com (Anders Nygren) ([Leica] Wireless Network?)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Wireless Network?)