Subject: [Leica] gonna go crazzie, film for the trip
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Tue Jan 25 10:19:49 2005

Phong wrote:
> Christopher Williams wrote:
>
>>Tried for weeks to decide on what cameras to bring on our Ireland trip in
>>Feb. Should it be digi? Should it be film?
>>
>>Call me crazy, but I'm gonna do it on 2 M6's, 3 lenses, and lots of FILM!
>>Maybe the Bronica RF thrown in too. I've had so much fun in my "new" wet
>>darkroom, I started missing film.
>

> Hey Chris,
>
> How do you like the Bronica RF ?
> How is shooting horizontals with it ?
> I have been very curious about this camera.
> Too bad it had such a short production run.
>
> Then you wrote:
>
>>Since da steelers ain't going, philly better pull it off!
>

> You wish.
>
> - Phong

Hi Phong,

I know you did ask Chris but I will throw in my 2 Eurocents.

I have the Bronica RF for about 6 months now and I really love it.
In MF it is the closest to a Leica M you can get. I don't mind the
vertical orientation because I shoot 50/50 landscape and portrait
anyhow. If I do magazine assignments it is even very convenient to have
portrait right away. To shoot in landscape with the Bronica is easier
then to shoot portrait with a Leica. The big grip makes it effortless.
I have all three lenses and all of them can deliver all the quality you
need starting from full aperture. Along with my M6 this is my travel
camera. Both systems coexist very nicely in my Billingham. For instance
when I shoot in Paris or Amsterdam, I use the Bronica at daytime until
the light gets too low. I usually use Astia. Then I switch to the M6
with a summilux and fast B/W for the night shots.

Although 6X4.5 is not that big, it does give considerable more quality
then 35mm and it is much easier to get high res scans. The 6X4.5 format
gives 32 exposures when using 220 film. It also keeps the camera
relative small and lightweight. This is also because the lenses are not
that fast.
Prices are so low at Ebay that you can hardly take it serious anymore.
Strange enough the prices for new equipment are in the USA much lower
then in Europe. I bought the 100mm new in the USA for $500,- were they
ask Eur800,- secondhand in Europe.

Some drawbacks.
Only three lenses available. Biggest problem for me is that the longest
is only a mere 100mm. For what I use the camera for, it has not been a
problem. In the end i use the 65mm the most, then the 100mm and at last
the 45mm.
For the 45mm you can use the the VF but you should use the separate VF.
No changeable back.
My batteries get drained within a few days. To fix it, is so expensive
that I just take the batteries out when I'm ready.
Some older camera's have the 135mm frame. The 135mm is not available new
anymore so you have to get the frame changed. When you're lucky the
importer will pay for this. I had mine out of the USA and so had to pay
the Eur80,- myself including adjustment of the VF.
The lenses are relative slow. At least they are fully usable at full
aperture.
Although the build quality is quit good, it is not up to Leica. But
then, which camera is up to Leica build quality? At least the Bronica is
better build than most other camera's.
It's electronic. No juice, no pictures, period.
Bronica is moving out of producing camera's. Support might get worse in
a few years although they promised to keep stock of parts for seven years.

I like the camera so much I'm considering to buy a second one for parts
when I might need them.

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] gonna go crazzie, film for the trip)