Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon Jan 24 07:19:06 2005

Leica made its reputation for decades by making the very best use of
the latest available optical and mechanical technology.  Following
the same path today means making optimal use of current digital
technology not, except as a transitional device, trapping the company
in the full-frame 35mm format.

It's becoming more and more apparent that sensors considerably
smaller than 35 mm film will produce suburb 11 x 14 prints.  A new
Leica camera with a smaller-than-35 mm film-size sensor could be part
of a whole new Leica photographic system with, say, Leica "D"-mount
lenses, all small, lightweight and optically optimized for the small
sensor.

Olympus has started down this route with the Four-Thirds system.
Leica might yet trump the industry by moving boldly in this direction
with a IIIf or M-sized digital camera and a whole new range of
lenses.  Maybe, with an adapter, it would also take M-mount lenses.
This is the future, I think, aping the 35 mm film format is not.

The Digilux 2, even with its sluggish EVF, is a interesting move in
that direction.  The more I use it, the more is seems like a real
camera to me. Sad to say my year-old M7 is languishing in the camera
bag.

We are living in interesting photographic times.