Subject: [Leica] Which was the "poor quality" Leica - M4-2 or M4-P?
From: mak at teleport.com (Mark Kronquist)
Date: Sun Jan 23 14:09:21 2005

They are both fine cameras...I have used them for many years without any
problems...

There were some teething problems moving production from Germany to Canada.

But they sorted those out quickly.

Simplifications were the film counter lack of self timer and PC socket
mounting blcok. Additions were the hot shoe the ability to use a motor
without modifications and in the case of the P (Professional) frame lines
for 28mm and 75mm lenses...

With an M2 M4 M5 and M4-2 you can just assume that if you see it in the .72
finder it will be in a 28mm shot as the 28mm frame lines are at the edge of
the finder image

They are cheap 9as Leicas go) rugged and a delight to use. I am sort of
shocked that the M4-2 hasn t become a collectible as there were only 16k
made and 1K of those were Gold plated...

Mark