Subject: [Leica] WAS: A word on doomed digital- NOW: "A word on positve digital!"
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 22 17:08:48 2005

Tina Manley offered:
> Plus - you can pay for them easily in what you save on film purchasing and
> developing and mounting and scanning!!!  My digital cameras have paid for
> themselves many times over.<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
Absolutely! :-) This trip to Hawaii would've had at least another 1000 if
not more dollars added to it if we used film instead of all digital.

I'm finding the cost factor is becoming paramount compared to using film.
And with no loss of quality in the content nor prints that seems to be of
concern for some folks who consistently whine with digital negative factors.
At first I paid serious attention to some of the negative remarks as they
seemed legitimate. However, I found from personal experience many of the
whiners were completely off the mark with what they were saying.

It's not just the film/processing cost factor, it's also a time saving in
how quickly we clean-up an assignment and out of our face without running
back and forth to camera store and lab after the shoot a half dozen times.
Another positive factor I find working very well is being able to print a
couple of especially selected frames and knocking off 12x18 blow-up's and
dropping them on the clients desk as we deliver or send the cd's. :-)

It's like.... "WOW!!!!! Amazing! And this is from the shoot you just did?"
These days so many people send a JPEG or two maybe a CD with a bunch of
images. Where the client only sees it on the screen like everybody else's,
where it may or may not look great depending on their screen calibration.
Besides everybody does it that way, so it doesn't make your work much
different when they're in a hurry seeing it on screen!

However, drop those real world prints in front of them (only a couple) and
they have something to hold in their hands, as in the days of yore and you
score major size brownie points! Why? Because no one else is doing it simply
because "send a JPEG" is the easy way out! The print is in hand, "BIG &
BOLD!" They hold it and look at it in a completely different manner to the
same old thing..."on the screen one more time!" And I've yet not to have
major compliments when we pulled it off. :-)

Such a simple thing that outwits the screen in viewing a photograph. As they
should be seen, in hand, up close and personal. :-)

ted

Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] A word on doomed digital-)