Subject: [Leica] To Keep or Not to Keep a Leica 1.4/75 M-Summilux
From: buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner)
Date: Sat Jan 22 09:47:51 2005

Well, it doesn't make any economic sense to pay for such an expensive
repair and then get rid of the lens, you wouldn't recover anywhere near
the initial cost after depreciation, plus the cost of the repair.  To my
mind the question is how much you like and use the 75 Summilux.

As I have written before, this is a highly idiosyncratic lens...an odd
focal length that you either love or hate.  It is a huge lens by Leica
standards and can be difficult to focus at 1.4 until you have a great
deal of experience with it.  It may be the last lens Leica sells which
was designed by a couple of guys with slide rules and it has unique
qualities in its image, superior edge sharpness, and bokeh.  However, I
suspect that the number of people who would really use and appreciate
this peculiar lens are very few, indeed.

That said, if you are going to use the lens a lot, get it repaired and
just enjoy it.  If its an item that you use only rarely or occasionally,
you might try to sell it.  You probably will not have much like selling
it broken, though, and I would guess that it's value in fine condition
would be around 1200-1500 EUR, but that is just an uneducated guess.  At
the end of the day, only you can be the judge.

        Buzz Hausner