Subject: [Leica] Doomed too: Leica 1.4/75 M-Summilux
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sat Jan 22 08:30:32 2005

I have repair troubles with a 1999 75mm M-Summilux. I had it, mounted on a
M6, on the middle console of my car when it dropped to my feets in a curve.
Then the aperture blades seemed to be slightly uptighted (only sometimes)
and I sent it to my repair man. He told me he couldn't easily open the
aperture complex because its all glued together. He said most of the newer
Leica lenses were made like that, like all new japanese lenses - just
glued, not screwed like the older ones.

Leica Switzerland adviced him to heat the lens on 50?C for 2 hours. My
repairman did. The aperture complex was still glued together. After
recalling Leica, he repeated the procedure with 60?C. Still negative.

The lens was sent to Leica. After 2 months, the cost estimate came: CHF
1100 (EUR 750) for a new aperture complex. And this price is not including
the work of my repairman.

I dont know if I should pay or just get rid of it.

Didier

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] To Keep or Not to Keep a Leica 1.4/75 M-Summilux)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Doomed too: Leica 1.4/75 M-Summilux)