Subject: [Leica] Severely OT: Buying a Flatbed Scanner
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Fri Jan 14 05:19:26 2005

Henning Wulff wrote:
> I think you'll find that it does soften the image somewhat. Whether
> that amount bothers you or not is another matter. I've had 3 scanners
> now that have ICE, and they all do it. Third party tests confirm it.

I am with Henning and Nathan on this one.
The image degradation is there, if you look.
Too bad this issue is so rarely mentioned.

In evaluating scanners, even optical resolution
is a bit misleading;   it's like pixel counting with
digital SLRs.  Higher count is not always better.
And as for dynamic range, well,  manufacturers claims
are all over the place.   Be that as it may, the Epson 4870
is a very good scanner.

My standard for comparison ?  an Imacon 848 that Don Dory
talked me into buying (a _very_ long story).  And no, the 4870
won't replace the Imacon, unfortunately :-)

- Phong