Subject: [Leica] Severely OT: Buying a Flatbed Scanner
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 13 22:10:39 2005

At 11:49 PM -0600 1/13/05, Robert Meier wrote:
>Nathan,
>
>The way digital ICE works does not soften the image.   It uses, as I
>understand it, infrared beams that rake the slide across its
>surface, picking up dust that is on the surface, and then the
>software, knowing what is dust and what is not,  replaces the white
>spot caused by the dust with the surrounding color.
>
>Bob

I think you'll find that it does soften the image somewhat. Whether
that amount bothers you or not is another matter. I've had 3 scanners
now that have ICE, and they all do it. Third party tests confirm it.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Severely OT: Buying a Flatbed Scanner)