Subject: [Leica] The Zeiss Choice
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Thu Jan 13 06:39:05 2005

On Wednesday, Seth Rosner wrote:
>"Bill, on reading this, I have become persuaded that what is meant
>technically is simply that no other rangefinder camera focuses down to
>0.5m. If I am correct, that ain't very complex or very persuasive. It
>certainly is misleading to suggest a quantum leap of "performance
>standards."

Seth, I agree that the marketing lingo - like most market-speak - is over
the top, although I don't think they ever suggested a "quantum leap." The
question that I have tried to pursue is whether the marketing statements are
nothing but hype or whether there is some substance there. The fact is that
there IS some substance to the statement - & I emphasize "some." The fact is
that the Zeiss wide angle lenses cannot be used to their full capabilities
on any other camera. Whether that is important to anyone is another matter.
You may not be persuaded; we will see if others are. I certainly am not
interested in persuading yo or anyone else; I would just like to be full
informed & to sort out the hype from the facts.

Is it very complex to design a RF camera system that will close focus with
rangefinder coupling to 0.5 or 0.3 meters? I have no idea; I'm not an
engineer or a camera designer. But I know that no other rangefinder camera
does this & that Leica charges $850 for a special macro-adapter to allow the
tele-macro to be focused to 0.5m. If it's "not complex," why doesn't anyone
else do it? Any basic rangefinder primer advises newcomers that one of the
restrictions of a RF system is that it can't focus much closer than a meter
or so. Leica has this down to 27 inches (0.7m). Zeiss is claiming to have
cut this distance by 30% to 19 inches. Not a big deal? Many Nikon users like
myself value their old 28/2.8 AIS lenses that can close focus to 8 inches.
Compared to this 19" is not a big deal, but it is a big improvement on 27."

Seth, you may not have a need to get in closer than 27" with a wide angle
lens, so you are not persuaded. That's fine. For those of us who do like to
shoot closer, it is a meaningful difference. As I said in my original post,
it's nice to have the choice.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)