Subject: [Leica] The Zeiss Choice
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Wed Jan 12 09:00:36 2005

"We've decidedn to design our own camera body because other cameras simply
cannot match the performance standards of our lenses." (from the Zeiss Ikon
website)

No single promotional statement from Zeiss Ikon has generated more sound &
fury than this one. It has been relegated to the category of pure hype & if
anything, detracted from early pre-production opinions of what is to come
because it appears to be such an overstatement. But is there any substance
to it? I think so.

All of the talk has been about whether the ZI lenses are as good as Leica,
better, worse, etc. Whether the build quality is up to Leica standards. Why
there are no ultra-fast lenses in the line-up. All of this has been looking
through a Leica lens. (Pardon the pun.) Looking at the things that Leica
values.

Overlooked IMO has been what's different about this product line. What's
overlooked is the fact that all of the lenses wider than 35mm close focus to
0.5m (18") & the 15/2.8 close focuses to 0.3m (12"). No other RF lenses on
the market to the best of my knowledge do this other than the Leica
Macro-Elmar 90/4 - & this lens needs a special Leica Macro-Adapter-M to
enable the body to focus down to 0.5m. Unless I'm missing something, then,
Zeiss is correct when it says that it needed to design its own body to take
advantage of the capabilities of these lenses. While there has been much
discussion to assert that Zeiss has made only one lens that will benefit
from the long base line, the Zeiss literature stresses the advantages of
this camera for use with wide angle lenses. I believe that it is the close
focusing capability that they are talking about.

So what is the Zeiss choice? It is the option of wide angle lenses that
close focus to 12"-18" (.3-.5m). If your need is for ultra-fast lenses, take
the Leica option & put them on a Leica body that is designed to work with
lenses that focus to 0.7m (27"). But if you prefer to get in closer - 9" or
more - then choose Zeiss. it's nice to have the choice.

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)