Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Jan 12 06:50:24 2005

Why do you need a long-term commitment? First off, with film use fading
faster than a print that hasn't been fixed, the market for film
equipment is going to be miniscule five years from now - and there will
be far more than enough used M lenses around to keep the diehard
aficionados in equipment. Second off, assuming for a moment that the
Zeiss offerings are even close to as good as Zeiss is claiming they'll
be, if they offer them for a year that's a year longer than not having
they available at all. I don't know about you, but in the 46 years I've
been involved with photography one way or another (starting at age 12) I
have NEVER had to send a lens for service. I buy them and use them.
Period. So I can't say I'd lose any sleep over Zeiss only offering this
stuff for a year - or for a month. Of course the body is another matter.

But again, we really don't know how good this stuff will or won't be. It
may, in fact, be the gussied up equivalent of the Cosina/Bessa
equipment, and then all of this angst will be moot. :-)