Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Jan 11 22:14:28 2005

Isn't this whole argument a moot point if Zeiss is not committed to the
program for the long term?

The worst thing that can happen is that Zeiss produces stunning lenses,
then, after the first year ( or whatever short time frame you wish to insert
here) decides there are not enough 35mm users out there, and folds up shop.

My concern is not the quality of the lenses ( 85 or 15) but rather the long
term commitment to the M lens lineup.  They have not offered a film camera
made in Germany since the Contax or Contarex or Contaflex ( I forget which)
;They have lost Hasselblad ( well, in truth, Hasselblad (or the market)
decided that 6x6 was pass?, and went to digital; and to be honest, the sales
of film cameras is in fast decline.
Some day a young ( read that as Harvard MBA) will go to the boss and ask
what all the R+D is being spent on.. a declining market?  Then the
accountants will get into the fray, and the next thing you will see is the
lack of anything further for the M mount.

My prediction ( that no one asked for) :Get the lenses when you can... they
are not going to last long in production.  Argue about quality lp/mm or any
other techie stuff you wish to argue about later.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift)
Reply from ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben) ([Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift)