Subject: [Leica] Re: American Robin
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri Jan 7 18:15:06 2005

on 1/7/05 5:58 PM, John Collier at jbcollier@shaw.ca wrote:

> The business of photography has nothing to do with photography itself.
> Having to put out in such an intensely competitive field can mean long
> hours away from home never-mind the required constant self promotion.
>
> Sometimes passions are best as part-time activities at most.
>
> I am not advising Doug or anyone else for that matter. Just reporting
> what I have all too often seen.

I agree, John.  I appreciate JCB's vote of confidence (and the others as
well) but given my self-promotion and marketing skills and the demands of a
family - and lacking the spouse with a well-paying career - I've chosen to
follow AA's advice to the aspiring fine-art photographer to get a job in a
shoe store to support the passion.  Meanwhile I'm working bit-by-bit on the
marketing thing ;-)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com