Subject: [Leica] WAS: BESSA R3A or M7? NOW EXPOSURE.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 3 09:56:33 2005

Jeeeeeeesh everyone makes this light meter stuff so complicated to getting
an exposure that looks OK.
I know to some it may sound like I'm making fun of people when I say that,
really I'm not. It's KISS, KISS, KISS! ;-)

I just look through the M7, quick check the shutter speed in view finder as
it flashes up and as long as it's a hand holdable speed, shoot! No thought
other than being in focus and or the action about to be captured is OK.

Out side it's the same thing, R8's or M7's  Now digital! ;-)

Yep at onetime and under some light situations I hold up an incident meter
so the same light illuminates it as the subject, quick look at meter, set
camera, shoot! ;-) No great analysis. Slide film? Meter for the brightest
area and let everything else fall into their own level within the exposure.
And that's a simple no-brainer!

Neg films, colour or B&W?  I usually meter right through the camera indoors
or out and shoot! Oh and if there's bright windows around and they are not
crucial, just let them blow out because to get any kind of "correct balance"
indoors-out the chances are you'll have to light the interior with hot
lights or flash and all that does is create a whole bunch of extra fussing.
:-) Unless you absolutely require the detail out and in, forget the windows
and use them for their light value to the photograph!

Goodness me, KISS and it works. ;-) I can never understand why it requires
such great detail for such a simple thing as a correct exposure. Sorry but
that's how I shoot and in general it works beautifully..... just look at the
books "Doctors' Work or Women in Medicine!" ;-) Or any of the earlier ones.
:-)

ted

Replies: Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] WAS: BESSA R3A or M7? NOW EXPOSURE.)
Message from jkoplen at mindspring.com (Julian Koplen) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7)