Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 2 16:21:10 2005

Luis Ripoll offered:
> First at all thanks for your opinion, and I think you are right, but I
> hesitate a lot with the M7, why?. Well, previously to have a M equipment I
> had a R equipment, a R3 and a R4, now I've sold it, during the years I had
> the R, more and more I was using my cameras in manual mode, on my
> experience
> I've failed more pictures caused for the automatic exposure than
> manual,<<<<<

Hello Luis,
I use 3 R8's, before that 3 R7's, before that 3 R4's, before that 3 Leica
SL2's, before that 3 Leicaflexes and all these were motor driven. I used
them in my work where I used auto exposure 99% of the time. So if you
consider that covers a time of 30 years, I rarely ever lost a frame with
them on automatic.

And a couple of years ago after using 3 M6's for 15 years I made a move to 3
M7's. They were and are used 99% of the time on AE! Rarely if ever a bad
exposure! The M7's were used in shooting the photography for our new medical
book, "Women in Medicine." where in 4-5 months, shot 500 plus rolls of tri-x
36 exp. all on AE! And not a lost frame.

The advantage of using the auto settings allows complete concentration on
the fast moving of people in the operating room in hospitals and doctor
offices. It's such a precise working tool when on AE I can't imagine not
using it to it's fullest advantage.

As far as batteries? All that's required is a spare set in your pocket and
you're never concerned about equipment failure! Besides I've only changed
batteries in 2 of the M7's since I purchased them. And up till recently they
were used nearly every day for assignment or other shooting. Batteries are a
myth if one is simply prepared the same as a sufficient amount of film when
you go out the door to shoot.

> I ask myself, why expend the money on a M7 if finally I'll use it in
> manual
> mode?<<<

You are quite correct in this case. However I'm just the reverse and use the
AE factor of the M7 as a major tool in the coverage of my work or play. I
suppose it's what works best for you or I.

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Some stuff from New Year's Eve...)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] (no subject))