Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag
From: bdcolen at MIT.EDU (B D Colen)
Date: Tue Dec 28 12:28:26 2004

Sorry, Richard - HCB will NOT haunt you. ;-)

As to Ms. Sontag - "On Photography" is the must. I tell my students that
they'll
hate me for making them read it, but read it they must. I also tell them that
it reminds me of the old story/joke about the kid who asks for a pony for
Christmas, and on Christmas morning his parents come down and see him madly
shoveling away at an enormous pile of horse shit beside the Christmas tree.
"What are you doing?!" the stunned parents asking the delighted kid?

"I'm digging," the child replies. "I figure that somewhere in all this horse
shit, there must be a pony!"

Indeed, buried in the horse shit of "On Photography," there are a number of
valuable ponies. :-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from jefferys at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Susan Sontag)