Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag and Emanuel Lowi
From: bdcolen at MIT.EDU (B D Colen)
Date: Wed Dec 29 07:06:29 2004

Emanuel Lowi oh so predictably wrote...
"It's amazingly predictable how the bullies will all
rush to beat up on one New York Jew old lady
intellectual. I trust you are pleased with yourselves.

Emanuel "

----

Yes, Emanuel, so incredibly stupid things have been posted about her on the
list
since you, as an admitted troll, informed people of her death. And not the
least of these was Feli's "gum" comment.

However - I can't help but ask if there will ever come a day when you can see
the world and people's reaction to people and events in terms unrelated to
persecution of Jews? Susan Sontag was not "one New York Jew old lady
intellectual." She was, she had chosen to be, a very public figure, a
self-proclaimed intellectual philosopher of the left, who said and wrote some
brilliant things, and some incredibly annoying and at times seemingly stupid
things. People reacted to her viscerally - and it didn't have a damn thing to
do with her being Jewish. Had she been Druish and written what she did about
9.11 and the American reaction to it she still would have been villified and
worshiped. Had she been Hindi and written "On Photography" people would have
reacted to it exactly the same way.

Anti-semitism is alive and well in America and pretty much everywhere else as
well.

But can't we have a discussion of something such as Susan Sontag's death
without
you "defending" her by saying that people are beating up on a little old
Jewish
lady. Hell, why not accuse them of beating up on a little old lesbian lady?
Or
accuse them of beating up on a great intellectual philosopher, if that's what
you believe she was. Or, for that matter, take a cue from Ted and say 'who
gives a shit? By the time the current disaster in Asia and South Asia has
wound
down 100,000 people will be dead?'

B. D.

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Susan Sontag and Emanuel Lowi)