Subject: [Leica] Stories
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Sun Dec 26 18:19:00 2004

On Dec 26, 2004, at 1:03 PM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> It's one of the best photos anyone ever took.

Completely in agreement. The most haunting picture I know.

> But a couple of years ago
> the now deceased girl's parents in effect withdrew their release, and
> Smith's widow, Aileen, agreed to it. The photo can never again be show,
> reproduced, etc. etc. They said they every time they saw it it renewed
> the pain, and kept them from healing. Which may be true. But the
> agreement caused all sorts of debate among curators, photo ethics
> mavens, etc. I have to say I'm in the camp that says a release is a
> release is a release. And that images should belong to the ages.

Interesting. While I see the families point of view, I think the memory
of their
daughter would be better served if other people were able to see the
picture.
It did an enormous amount to raise awareness regarding the effects of
pollution
in the environment and should be allowed to continue to do so.
Especially in this day and age. Without wanting to sound melodramatic,
I think that the young girl, who had to be cared for by others, was
through that picture able to help many others. In a sense it has also
made her immortal.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net                    2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com