Subject: [Leica] Ice hockey shots, wide open
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Dec 21 01:24:18 2004

Didier Ludwig wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> Cones picture: I share Jim McIntyre's opinion who wrote that the cones
> are a ubiquitous part of the kids hockey training - so I left it in the
> picture as it's a part of the information
Agreed, though it might have been better if a completely recognizable cone
was in the frame, to my view of it it just seemed to be a red blob.
Geschmackssache. Und ?ber Geschmack l??t sich usw usw.

I wonder what you did
> that the face and the helmet looks so smoother than before (pic
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/TESTS/nanos_1_copy2 ) - cant be unsharp
> masking alone, did you use another filter (maybe, in german "St?rungen
> entfernen", dont know the photoshop term in english)?
Tag, Didier
The process is a plug-in for PS (I use Elements 3.0) called Neat Image,
a very controllable process which can be used to reduce noise of just about
any
type.It also has an option of sharpening in any or all of the RGB channels
in
different frequency ranges. I'm still learning how to use it to get the best
results - there are literally dozens of control sliders. I was , however,
pleased (and surprised!) that the helmet suddenly became "shiny".What I
didn't
like were the "Farbs?ume" around the protective mask (I've been here too
long
and I've forgotten, or never knew, the English expression).

> Goalkeeper picture: The high format is probably the better solution for
> this. I rarely crop large to high format (except for web). But
> 'gradient' seems to harsh to me, and 'sharpening' (or both together)
> makes it much grainier than it should be. I dont mind about "real" grain
> on low light 1600 or 3200 ASA shots, but I think it must not be
> artificially pushed on a 400 ASA that did not show grain.
Yes, I noticed the grain, particularly behind the Trainer (referree ?)
This may be a sharpening effect, I'll look into this and find out what
caused it.

> But thanks for having a look and contributing.
Thanks for posting the pictures
Gr??e aus Hannover
Douglas
And thanks to Ted, Jim,