Subject: [Leica] Re:NOW: SAVING DIGITAL IMges:
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Dec 20 13:29:22 2004

Richard offered kindly:

> Ted, I know you like to keep it simple, but DO take some times to find out
> about the longevity CDs. The capsule summary is this: not all CDs are
> created equal and you cannot trust name brands, e.g. Sony branded CD
> absolutely does not mean anything either way. From my and other people's
> research, certain OEM brands such as Mitsui is much higher quality. There
> are others. I buy our stuff at www.cddimensions.com. No relation except
> that we buy about couple thousands CDs each year from them.
>
> That and shoot RAW with your 20D, you'd amazed how much flexibility it
> gives you :-)<<<

Hi Richard,
Thank you as yer not alone in trying to get through to the old guy about
things digital to save my buns later on.

I will look into the best CD type as you've suggested, simply because,
what's the point of going to the effort to burn material on cheap CD's only
to have the "cheaper" ones blank later on due to deterioration . I mean if
you're going to do something, do it right! Or, don't do it all!

Now shooting RAW?

I suppose my experience with shooting RAW on Digilux 2 was enough to put a
quick halt on shooting RAW! It was shoot one frame, wait a week, ( a slight
exaggeration) ;-) before you could shoot the next frame. :-)

Tina and several others have been on my case to shoot in RAW now that I'm
playing with the 20D Canon. As it works extremely fast with no delay unless
you shoot multiple bursts. Not much of that these days.

So I will make the effort to work in RAW mode and learn why it's better
under all circumstances. I just hope it doesn't entail more time in front of
the screen simply because my butt is getting out of shape as it is without
adding more... "CHAIR TIME!"  ;-) :-)

thanks again,
ted

Replies: Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Re:NOW: SAVING DIGITAL IMges:)